Below is a troubleshooting and maintenance guide for Pomac Pumps’ PDSP Twin Screw Pump.
A malfunction in a pump system may be caused by a number of reasons and is not necessarily the pump itself. Issues with the pipework or other fluid accessories within the system can be contributing factors. Another major contributing factor, would be operating the pump in conditions that are extremely different to the ones provided at the time of specification.
Consequently, it is always recommended to check the following first:
- Has the pump been installed correctly?
- Are the operating conditions still according to the initial specification?
- Are the other fluid accessories within the pipework functioning correctly?
In general the following malfunctions can be identified:
- Pump provides no flow
- Pump provides irregular flow
- Capacity is too low
- Pump over heats
- Motor overheats
- Excessive Screw / Rotor wear
- Excessive wear of shaft sealing
- Pump vibrates excessively or makes too much noise
- Pump has seized
- Pump stops upon start up
Below is a table of the possible causes and solutions of these malfunctions.
|X||Wrong Direction or Rotation||Have a qualified electrician revers the direction of rotation of the electric motor|
|X||Pump is not completely filled with liquid||Fill the pump casing entirely with fluid and fit a non-return valve to the suction side|
|X||X||X||X||Insufficient Suction Pressure / NPSHa||Increase the suction pressure, lower position of the pump further below the fluid level, enlarge suction pipe ø, shorten / simplify suction pipework, reduce operating speed, reduce product temperature|
|X||X||X||Excessive vapour is present in the suction line|
|X||X||X||Air is entering the suction line||Check Connections|
|X||X||X||X||Gas in the suction line||Vent suction pipe / pump casing|
|X||X||X||Insufficient static head||Increase liquid level|
|X||X||X||X||Product viscosity is too high||Lower the operating speed / increase product temperature|
|X||Product viscosity is too low||Increase the operating speed / lower the product temperature|
|X||X||X||X||X||Product temperature is too high||Cool the product / pump casing|
|X||X||Product temperature is too low||Heat the product / pump casing|
|X||X||X||X||Foreign particles are in the product||Clean the system / install a suction filter sized according to the max solids passage of the pump|
|X||X||X||X||X||X||X||Pressure at delivery side is too high||Check piping for obstructions / simplify the discharge pipework|
|X||X||X||X||X||Pump casing distorted by piping||Check alignment / support the piping & install flexible couplings|
|X||X||Speed too high||Lower the speed|
|X||Speed too low||Increase the speed|
|X||X||X||X||X||X||Insufficient flushing||Increase flushing capacity / pressure|
|X||X||X||X||X||X||X||Worn out bearings / gears||Replace the worn out parts|
Inspection & Maintenance Schedule
Routine inspection and maintenance can avoid unnecessary and expensive downtime as well as operating costs. It is recommended to regularly check:
- If the pump functions properly – excessive noise levels may indicate wear problems to bearings and gears, dragging of screws on the pump casing or cavitation.
- Pressure and Flow of the flushing system, if present
- Temperature of the heating / cooling system, if present
- Oil level in the gearbox – at standstill the oil level must be in the centre of the visual level indicator
- 300 operating hours after initial commissioning
- Every 3000 operating hours or at least every 3 months
- If not being used regularly, every 2000 operating hours, or at least every 3 months
|Inspection Interval||Refers to||Inspection Duty||
|Daily||Quench or Flushing System||Check Quench or Flush Pressure / Flow||Adjust when at standstill|
|Gear Box||Check Oil Levels||Top up if necessary|
|Mechanical Seal||Check for Leaks||Replace when faulty|
|Lip Seal||Check for Leaks||Replace when faulty|
|System||Functional check of pump||Switch off and find / resolve cause when irregularities are found|
|System||Inspect Connections||Repair when leaking|
|Take product sample||If contaminated, check seal and flush seal chamber|
|Weekly||Drive||Check if drive is operating within spec||Switch off and find / resolve cause when irregularities are found|